Happy Friday the 13th! Are you starting out in the horror genre and you’re looking for movies to watch? You have come to the right place. These are 10 great horror movies to watch for beginners. The majority of them aren’t too scary. Also check out the hard-core alternatives if you want to give yourself sleepless nights. And if you’re a horror fan, watch all the films you haven’t seen so you aren’t missing out.
10. The Amityville Horror (1979) The Amityville horror is about a family who move into a home haunted by ghosts. Truthfully, I’m not exactly a fan of this movie but if you’re starting out in the genre, it is a must watch. It is supposedly based on a true story.
Scare Factor: 2/10
Hard-core alternative: The Amityville Horror (remake)
9. Alien Everyone says how petrifying this film is. I don’t think it’s petrifying. It is a perfect introduction to body horror. This film is about a group of astronauts in the future who are killed by an alien life-form. There is a scene that might frighten some viewers where an alien bursts out of someone’s chest.
Scare Factor: 5/10
Hard-core alternative: The Fly
8. Night of the Living Dead A true classic and an excellent introduction to zombie films. A little gore and no nudity. It is about a group of strangers who are trapped in a deserted barn during a zombie apocalypse. It was one of the first zombie movies ever and it’s still pretty good.
Scare factor: 4/10
Hard-core alternative: 28 Days Later
7. Psycho (1960) Psycho is classic which is good to watch because it’s highly regarded among true fans and I personally don’t find it too scary. Don’t be afraid of black and white movies. This is a must watch. It is about a woman, Marion Crane who steals from her boss, and is on the run. She stops at Bates Motel where she meets a young Norman Bates. She is later killed and her boyfriend and her sister are looking for her.
Scare Factor: 4/10
Hard-core alternative: Peeping Tom
6. The Exorcism of Emily Rose This is by far one of the scariest films on this list, so I would advise watching all 9 others before you watch this. This is about a lawyer who defends a priest when a girl he was exercising died. The lawyer is unaware that sinister forces surround this case and she has put herself in grave danger.
Scare Factor: 7/10
Hard-core alternative: The Exorcist
5. Insidious This is another scary film on this list. This film didn’t actually bother me that much. I was slightly disappointed due to the film’s final act. Leading up to that though, it is scary. It is about a family menaced by supernatural forces. Beware, please don’t watch this immediately.
Scare factor: 7/10
Hard-core alternative: The Conjuring
4. The Blair Witch Project The Blair Witch Project is scary, but quite disappointing as the characters are so unlikable. The film is bloodless, although there are some creepy moments. It is about 3 students who make a documentary on the legend of The Blair Witch in the woods. Soon enough, they are menaced by an unseen entity.
Scare Factor: 6/10
Hard-core alternative: Paranormal Activity
3. The Lost Boys I love this film. It’s hilarious which takes away the scare factor. The movie may have some gory scenes but it’s not like Cabin Fever or The Thing. This was one of the first horror movies I’ve ever seen. It is about a teenage boy who hangs out with a group of boys and discovers they’re vampires.
Scare . Factor: 4/10
Hard-core alternative: Let Me In
2. Poltergeist (original) This movie can be very creepy at times but it never falls into the downright terrifying category. The scene where the clown attacks the boy may be frightening for younger viewers though. This is about a family who moves into a house and their daughter is kidnapped by a sinister entity. Insidious has ripped off the film’s plot.
Scare factor: 6/10
Hard-core alternative: The Conjuring 2
1. Jaws Jaws isn’t just a great starter horror movie, it’s a great movie in general. I love this movie however I don’t find it scary. The film is a cinematic masterpiece. A rare film that can be watched thousands of times. If you haven’t seen it, see it. If you have, watch it again.
Scare Factor: 5/10
Hard-core alternative: The Birds